Cell Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowyf

Solid State Member
I'll keep it simple, what are cell processors? Also, does anyone have a website that gives you complete information regarding computers, down to the simplest detail? Thanks...

cell processors: a processor that actually consist of one large processor that hands out work to any number smaller processors located on the same die.

I still prefer the duel/qaud processor ideology... but it seems alot of people are excited about cells.
I hope it flops.

i personally dont liek the idea of the "cell" processor. i think that dual core tech and stuff like that would be better. I think that the "cell" tech would be slower, but thats just me.

If the cell processor takes hold and IBM is successful it will prettymuch destroy Intel and AMD, or at least force them to abandon the x86 architecture at some point.It will force microsoft to change drastically too.

why would IBM change microsoft? i didnt think microsoft had anythign to do w/ IBM cause they where seperate. or was that apple? i really doubt a cell processor will destroy amd and intel.

AMD/Intel really don't hav cell lined up, they'ed take a hit because they wont be able to compete with IBM.

And for all our luck, IBM will sell the cell to Communist China... ****.

Because, microsoft's work is entirely built around the current x86 architecture, windows isnt ported to run on anything but that with the exception of windows CE.They still havent even gotten serious about the 64 bit changes.I think we are witnessing the beginning of the end of the windows life cycle, hardware and other software makers are in a good position to jump on the new technology while microsoft isnt, all its plans involve x86 hardware.Like it or not, hardware and software is tied together, they feed off each other, IBM has gathered together some pretty big names with this upcoming cell processor technology, and theyve sold off their PC division to lenovo, and embraced an OS that can easily make cell processor tech work.From what I know about RISC architecture, its probably a better choice in multiprocessing to begin with, and IBM already has a head start with several years with the PPC chips.They may not make major headway in the desktop market in the beginning, but they will dominate the home media centers,small devices, and still hold onto their huge share of the server market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom