Cell processor - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Jeez....think about it...if they are implementing this chip for consoles, the newer ones may be more powerful than your machine, but right around the corner will be a PC based on that chip which means, once again consoles will be 2nd place to PC

Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yes Nibius is right, its good for competition, People scream about Intel and AMD, ATI and Nvidia, but in reality its best that we have both, we need both, Imagine how much better Microsoft would be if they had real competition. (well there would be other problems but still). There is a limit to the architecture and manufacturing process with conventional cpus, The transistors or whatever are gonna get so close, that they will eventually just hit the ceiling of what these stacked processors are capable of. I think that quantum computers will work, read -Timeline by Michael Crighton-.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Well Moores law (I think it's moore?) Says cpus will double in speed every 18 months. I hope that remains true.

EDIT: The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Um, its already in modern computers and has been around for a little while (well, except cell). Look at the powerpc systems specs. They use much the same infrastructure. Odd how MS is taking note from Mac for the Xbox 2 systems.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 02-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I noticed your all mentioning the power of the PS3 and the XBox2 but I hear nothing about Nintendo, poor poor Nintendo. The one gaming/console company we all used to root for.
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Techie

nintendo should hook up with apple to make a more appealing console..
and they should make their line of games more sophisticated because they make it for 11 year olds but even 11y/o want ps2 or xbox>gamecube
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

i think i want a ps2 (or ps3) now...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Techie

Its very slim that any console will out preform a computer. Then it would have to cost as much or even more. Everytime a new console comes out its around 300$. Most people that buy consoles arent rich individuals. Whos really going to buy a 1000$ + console? This is all the same talk that we get for any new generation consoles.

Just dont forget that once a console comes out, it stays the same intil next generation consoles. But new computer chips hit the market around every 6 months.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

strangly enough nintendo consoles have about the same propotion of "adult" games but becuase ppl hear that its for kidies they wont get one. Hope revolution is as good as ive heard and cos nintendo have been so quiet compared to the other 2 i really hope it kicks their ***.

playstations should crash and burn, only reason ppl bought them was cos u could copy games (illegal) then every1 just moved to the ps2 cos it was all that they had heard about even though the gamecube and xbox are considerable better consoles in EVERY way take the ps controller for example and compare it to teh one used on the snes sum 14-15 years ago and the only difference is the prongs and the sticks which ive never seen used cos they just stuck em in the only place they could wen they found out the n64 had one

(rant over)
2x 7800GTX in SLI for 20" viewsonic
OCZ 600watt power supply
www.angelic-accessories.co.uk - plug for my gfs site
Old 02-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Im not a fan of the Playstation at all either. I own a PS2 but I only own it because I play Final Fantasy. I hate playing games by myself, and I think thats all the playstation is good for. I think its much funner to play games when your friends are with you laughing and screaming. But I really do hope the new Nintendo Console is as good as it should be. Its seems like Nintendo is a little lower in popularity nowadays, but when they do make a game, everyone rants and raves about it for weeks. Just wait till the new Zelda comes out. There will be nothing that will even be able to compete.

1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Closed Thread