Celeron Cache Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

donadam

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron 2.2G CPU. The system become very slow (probably due to viruses and spyware) to the point where I could not repair it. I formatted the hard drive on another computer, replaced it into the 2400 and reloaded Windows XP. I did this twice as the first time this process took over 6 hours to just load windows and when it completed, it still ran very slow. It worked, but the CPU still runs slow. I checked the harddrive in another computer and it was fine. I then used the Dell Hardware verification software on startup and it gave me this error: Error Code: 0700:0120, MSG: NO CACHE DETECTED, CACHE MIGHT BE DISA BLED, DEFECTIVE OR NOT PRESENT. Is this BIOS problem? Would reloading BIOS help or is the CPU fried?

So you formatted it on another computer to just clean out all the junk and then you put it BACK into your computer and went through the windows installation right? Just making sure I have the situation correct.

For starters...celerons suck..they are the low end of the Pentiums equivelant to the AMD Durons or I guess Opterons now.

Maybe try formatting it again. and before you install windows...clear your CMOS with the jumpers and taking out the battery so it'll put your mobo at its defaults. Buuuuuut Dell is horrible because their BIOS gives you NO options and hardly any info cause they figure their users are just ordinary people wanting a computer and don't know what BIOS is.

CPU COULD be fried I suppose but try a few other things first. Like I said, trying clearing the CMOS that could help...possibly reseat the heatsink and new thermal compound (if its got a thermalpad on the bottom don't put paste over that)

Sounds very well likely like the CPU could be indeed damaged though but computers are fickle like that. It shouldn't take no 6 hours to install windows so theres definitely something up. Don't suppose you have a spare processor that'll fit with your board do ya?

I just found on Microsoft's site a memory test software that lets you toggle the cache on the cpu. So it looks like the cache can be toggled.

I will try clearing the CMOS. I have to find the jumpers first.

i agree with vigilante that the del pc`s are not that great neither are celerons,I have a dell 2350 with a celeron 2.o in it ,I took the mobo out and put nother one in the case with agp slot on it and it still doesnt perform very well(celeron cpu is why)but I decided to take and put the other original mobo back in so i did and it would not run right anymore,after goofing with it for a while i discovered that the hdd was my problem,it worked ok in another pc but would no longer work right in the dell?????weird huh I tried every jumper and every configuration that I could think of ,no good.I finally just put another hdd in it and no problem except for the celeron in it lmao.This may not be your problem I dont know,but it could be,but mine would not install right either,but it would do ok on another pc though????And also some bios will let you turn cache on and or off , so I would check and see but I would say that vigilante is right about the bios in that one having no user friendly buttons to push.These dell`s are for people who don`t know what bios is lol,well good luck.

Optetron? Whoa - uhhh, I think you mean "Sempron".
Yeah my bad, I think I just got all my RONS mixed up...hehe...duron...sempron...opteron.....turnmeon.....bah sry my mistake.

EDIT:
I agree with vigilante
lol the name is Nubius, Computer Vigilante is just the title under the username :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom