CDRW Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
I have a Sony CDRW, 40x12x48, I've had it for about a year now. Lately, when i boot up my computer, it wont recognize it. I'm running windows XP. When I put a CD in the CDRW drive, XP does recognize it when i boot, but otherwise, it doesnt. Im just wondering if htere is something in the bios that i dont have checked, or what. I went into the bios, and i had all the HDDs to boot, and when i start it up, w/o a CD inside, the bios recognizes it but still XP doesnt. So i was just wondering if its possibly a faulty drive, or if its a something i could toggle in the bios to get rid of this h***le.

Sounds like your drive took a crap. I had a creative cdrom that did that. Now it just collects dust.

It only comes up in the device manager when I boot w/ a CD in the drive. Otherwise, windows doesnt recognize it. When the bios runs when i boot, its in the list of drives, so im confused as to why windows doesnt recognize it.

i think the cd drive might still be good. maybe windows has some kind of conflict with it. do you have winXP service pack 1 installed? do you use the automatic windows updates?

do you also have norton anti-virus installed along with SP1? i would test the cd drive in another computer without winXP SP1 or automatic windows updates installed before ruling out cd-rom failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom