CDRW drive driving me nuts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Ok, I have an ATAPI CDRW CW5205. This thing is driving me nuts. Every once and a while for no reason it no longer will recognize a CDR or CDRW, meaning, I can't write to a CD. The problem seems to solve itself eventually, but recently even after shutting down the PC for a few hours it still won't recognize my writable media. Any idea what to do? I'm about to throw this stinking drive out the window or just buy a new one. It's been like this since I got it.

yup. New drive. Just a few questions first though...

Are you running VMware? Are you using Roxio software? What color are you shoes... well you don't have to answer that one...

No VMware, No Roxio, (I use Nero)and I'm not wearing any shoes, I lost both of my feet in a boating accident.

Ok, just kidding, my shoes are black ;)

The last operation I ran was just dragging a few files to my CDRW drive and writing them. Things seem to work well. Shrug.

I good cheap cd-rw drive that I would recommend would be the Sony CRX230E, I have one of those and it works great! No complaints here. My brother also has one, and it's served him well aswell. So, yea......that's a good cheap cd-rw drive anyway, and the cheapest place to find it is at http://www.newegg.com (although, i bought mine at a computer show for $2 more.....i didn't feel like waiting for it to arrive in the mail.... :p )

I was curious, on all my other systems when I run a hardware profile program it lists "DMA as ON" for all my cd drives EXCEPT the one I am having trouble with. What is DMA, and how do I enable it? Perhaps this could solve my problem??

DMA is Direct Memory Access, Its a controller chip that takes care of the I/O operations without the interference of the prcoessor to the device medium. So that the access speed is increased, and is fast.

You can enable DMA from the device manager. My Computer,right click,properties and enable DMA, avaiable in the properties of "primay channel" and "secondary channel" [ I forgot the exact name in the device manager , as iam not using windows anymore ] . Check around.......

Sign
Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom