CDROM troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Baseband Member
After installing a new motherboard and case in my system it seems that my 2 cd drives don't want to work properly. Heres what happens. I try to re-install a game and i put it in the top cd drive but when I got into my computer, there is only ONE cd drive listed even though I have 2. so I put the same cd in the bottom cd drive and it will recognize it BUT when auto run pops up it just shows the content of the cd and doesnt execute the files on the cd. like when I put in DOOM3 the cd opens and it shows me all the files. And when I try to click on the setup icon in the folder it says "windows installer version isnt good ...blah blah or something" Now when I put in a cd in the drive that works and I press eject under properties, it will eject fine. BUt when I have 2 cds in BOTH of the drives and press the eject button BOTH of the cd drives eject.... When I installed my new motherboard I did not have to reformat my HD or anything it just started up. I have win xp

thanks

Check your jumpers. One should be master the other slave do not use cable select. Check your BIOS to see that both are listed.

only one is listed in my bios and what do you mena by jumpers?

MicroBell said:
Joe: Do NOT bump your thread.

Now on to your problem. Since you installed another MB it's recommend to either reinstall the OS or repair the install since your orginal HD still has the old motherboard setup and drivers on it.

How are your CDROMS and HD attached?? Whats on IDE1/IDE2 and which are masters and which are slaves? Have you checked device manager for errors? Are your IDE ports set to "Auto" in the bios to be detected?

**Note** To answer your question above....CDROMS, CDRWs..ect have jumpers on the back of them like hard drives too set them to master/slave.

sorry for the bump

I have tried to set my cd drive as the primary boot device in bios to install windows but the disk doesnt get read so I cant install windows. My bottom cd rom is attached with an IDE cable and the top is attached with the other connector on that same IDE cable. I transplanted them from my dell without changing there position or jumpers. And in my bios under the MAIN tab there is only my hard drive listed even when there on auto detect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom