cdrom drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

syb-pi

Solid State Member
Setting up PcChips M11.v.3.1 mobo with Athlon 900 and at post the cdrom drive is not recognised. I guess the board needs drivers but I cannot install these until the drive works - catch 22 situation!!
Can only get into Bios by disconnecting the cd drive, otherwise the system hangs and says 'searching for ide drives'.
Tried different cds, cables etc. Settings are auto for ide drives.
The manual gives pinouts for Cd-in-connector and says configure from the setup utility but can't do that until the drive works!
Can't even install a system to work things from there!

So far the hard drive is recognised when the cd drive is disconnected and the floppy drive is ok.

Anyone got any ideas please as I don't know where to go now.

Tried both master and slave on cdrom - ng.

This CD-in connector is a 4 pin - manual says 'when you first start system bios should automatically detect cdrom drive. If it doesn't enter the setup utility and configure cdrom drive that you have installed. On the mainboard locate the 4-pin connector CD1'.
This shows pin 1 - cd in L, pin 2 - gnd, pin 3 - gnd, pin 4 - cd in R.

I was assuming that this setup utility is on the mobo driver rom.
I have tried jumpers on these pins but that does not work.
I don't understand this at all. You would think the mobo manufacturer would explain this properly.

Now cdrom is shown in bios as Creative but no details; will not read. It did read at one point when I installed Win 98SE but now it will not.
It must be a bios setting which is wrong. Can anyone give me guidance on this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom