CD writing and DVD playing problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Unhappy CD writing and DVD playing problem

Well, here is the story. I went to a computer show to get Power DVD and Nero since I lost my original copy of Power DVD and needed Nero. So I get home and I install them and everything is going all good, no problems with anything. About a month later (not testing Nero or Power DVD when I got it), I see that a number of people are getting into Linux, so I think to myself, "hey this must be pretty good! Think I'll try it out!" So I go to download Suse 9.1 and no problems. It download and to celebrate I try watching a DVD on my comp...problems start here. When I start it up with a DVD inside the DVD-ROM, it gives me the message about the program running into an error and there are the 2 little buttons: "Send error report" and "Don't send", and whichever button I click, the program ends right after. I a puzzeled by this. I try again and again, but the same stupid window pops up. So, I again think, "Ah, it's prolly just cause the systems been running for a while". So I try burning Suse instead. Now, it usually takes me about a good 5-10 minutes to burn an entire music track to a CD on the comp downstairs, but with this 670MB OS, it took less than two minutes. By now, I know something is wrong. The red light to show that it is burning doesn't even light up! I am not irritated at this. I take the disc out and check the bottom of it to see if anything is on it. Nothing. Because two drive related programs are not working on this drive, I have sucessfully maganed to conclude that my drive's CD burning and DVD burning capabilities have died. I got this drive OEM for about $35 before I began gathering my comp components. The software for both was under $20, but the guy said that they were tested and good. Perhaps I need a new drive? I have been very patient with this dilema, but I am starting to wear out of it, so can someone please offer a suggestion as to what the source of my connundrum (fancy word, eh? ) could be: The drive itself or the software. Remember that the red light doesn't light up at the burning process.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So, no one here knows, then?
Closed Thread