CD-RW Drive Tray opens on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrWireless

Beta member
ANNOYANCE~

Why does this happen? Does anybody know?
I recently purchased an MSI 52x32x52 CD/W/RW drive and every time i turn on the computer, it spits out the drive tray! It doesn't matter if there is a cd in it or not, it still spits it out. How do i fix this??

yes,, sounds like a virus ,, used to be called "beer coaster" or Pepsi Holder,, something like that ,, was a small exe that popped the cd tray,,,

I agree... it's most probably a virus ...

Run a virus scan ... if u don't find anything.. Then it's probably a fault with the logic card on the drive .
Normally a firmware update should fix it

To check if it is done because of Virus just test it like this.

Dont connect data cale to CDRW. Only power connector. And boot the system. If the behaviour is still same. Then you got problem with drive and no virus.
[ CDROMs and CDRWs can work as audio cdplayer too with only power supply connected to it.]

There was similar problem in creative 32x drives. The reason was failing of small switch called as leaf switch (?) in it. It works on principle of megnetism. It was bad and most of the drives even new one were failing. So if your drive is under warranty give it for replacement / repairs. If it is O/W and you want to try your self then open that cdrw and replace that switch. You will need a soldering iron. Else give it for repais. Should not cost much. Here in my city (mumbai/ India) professional repairs charge in such case is euivalent around $5.75.

Check it out and give feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom