CD RW the Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiri

Baseband Member
Okay. Is it normal for a CD RW to dismantle in spectacular fashion an operating system cd during reinstall?

I mean, it started sounding like a space shuttle launch so I moved (rather quickly, as you can imagine) to eject the CD. Unfortunately the CD exploded and I've spent the last couple of hours cleaning those shards of Windows 98SE from the drive.

I always thought a CD RW could cover as a CD ROM.

Was I being blonde in assuming that?

Not worried. I have several machines. Just want to know what goes on with this one.

Cheers!

kiri

Woah, that's some crazy Dremel experiment.

Back to the "CDs exploding in normal use" topic, only story of that kind I've heard is from a friend of mine at school. The shattering CD was one of those "cereal box free PC game"... I think it was Monopoly. :( Just thought I'd share the experience. :)

Um, to clarify. Even the mobo drivers cd for an 18 month old pc was being driven by a maniac by this drive, among other driver cds. I simply got to them before they met Win98SE's fate.

BTW. I drive an internet cafe with 20 public machines on broadband. 50/50 Win98SE and XP. All with CD ROMs. I've never had a cd self destruct like that.

It sounds like a faulty CD RW to me. What do you lot think?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom