CD-Rs wont read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy

Solid State Member
Blank CD-Rs wont read on my Atapi 52x24 CD-RW. Up until a few weeks ago, it used to read my blank CD-Rs.. It still reads normal CDs and audio CDs. I'm running XP Pro and any help will be greatly appreciated.

What error's do you get? Does your drive just act like no disk is installed, or does the disk show up and you just can't write to it?

i used to have the same problem in a compaq presario 7478.. my burner wouldnt read ANYTHING that i put into it. it would just spin for a bit, n then stop.

Well if it counts, i had a cdrom that did that. When you power on the pc, the lights in front come on, and it ejects/opens when you press the button, but if you stick a disk in it ... nothing. It doesnt read a thing. It doesn't even spin.

I threw it in the garbage yesterday. I had the drive for 6 years and suspect it has an internal wiring problem (not actually getting info from the ide cable and/or a problem getting power from the powersupply = because i used to have other power related problems with this drive). I was gathering stuff together from storage i've collected over the years and i tested the drive one last time yesterday. It did the same thing so i just tossed it in the garbage.

I get no errors, when it actually read the blank disc, a prompt screen would popup asking me what I would like to do.Now, when I put the disc in, the light turns on, on the rom and the disc spins and then it stops and when I go to a burning program, it tells me there is no disc in the drive. I hope the rom didn't go bad because I've only had it 6 months.

Check to see if it's either the program acting up or the drive:

Put a blank disk in. Click "My Computer". Right click the drive letter corresponding to the cdburner. If it's reading disks, it'll show you a disk is inserted but with no label, with no bytes used up. Then double click the drive to see if it prompts you. If you get no prompt, and if it doesn't even tell you there's a disk in with no bytes and no label, then the drive isn't reading the disk at all. Try a second blank disk to make sure it's not a bad cd disk. If it does tell you there's a disk with 0 bytes, no label, etc., then the disk is being read.

This will atleast narrow it down to your program or something else going on. If it's the program, try uninstalling the burner software and drivers, and then reinstall all over again.

Good luck!

It's telling me that I have no disc in the drive, I tried it with both a Sony CD-R and an Imation CD-R.

try fixing the autodetect
cd-rom1.jpg

messed with the autoplay and even restored to default, and still the only one that wont be read is the blank cds.

Check your cables.Try to put it on another cable.Try another IDE slot on mobo. Or mabey a disk cleaner i know thats a stretch just throwing out some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom