CD-ROM Disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posts_For_Help

Solid State Member
So I was on my girlfriend's laptop last night and I noticed that the computer doesn't acknowledge the CD-ROM... I go to My Computer and the D: is non-existent. I check the Drive Manager and the Secondary IDE channel is working properly and the troubleshooter is no help. A System Restore is no help either. I don't know what could have happened to make it "disappear" because she uses it as her desktop and doesn't take it anywhere. And if I put a CD in the drive the light blinks like it reads it but it never auto-starts, and even if I go to Run and type d: it gives an error saying the drive is not there or something. Please help if you can. Sorry for the long post.

i could be a dirty lens, if it is than you could just get a $5.00 lens cleaner.
and if the doesnt work, the lens could be defective, if so, then get a new Cd-rom (or get it fixed)

I don't understand how or why a dirty lens would take the d: off the list on My Computer. That doesn't make sense at all. A dirty lens would give the drive problems reading a disc. The drive just isn't there according to the computer.

prob your girlfriend deleted the drive
have you run the new hardware install to see if does detect it?

Goto control panel, double click Administrative properties, when the thing comes up, click "Device Manager"

You will see all of the device listings there.

If you do not see the D Drive, on the Device Manager, look on the very top of the list.

At the top should be the main computer system, and underneath are all of the components (that i just told you about)

Right click on the computer symbol at the very top of the list, and click "Scan for hardware changes"

This not only scans for hardware changes, but also scans for anything that is connected to the PC but is not installed yet, so that should install the CD Drive back to normal.

If it doesn't, simply reply again and I will try to provide more assistance.

Good luck! :cool:

one more thing is alignment if you press to hard in you cd room
after you put a disc in lift it a bit an see if it plays

I uninstalled the driver and restarted the computer, it said Found New Hardware, Your New Hardware is Ready to use. But still the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom