CD/DVD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh_superman

Solid State Member
I knno about zero about PC hardware--- hopefully someone on this forum knows more. Here's the issue.

I got 2 drives running under Windows XP Home edition build 2600. One is a old Hitachi CDR-8130, and the other is a newer Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B. In device manager, they both have black exclamation points next to the devices inside a yellow cirlce. In properties, in the General tab, under device status they both read:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I've tried uninstalling the drives and letting windows recognize them again-- same problem comes up, and I've tried a system restore, which didn't work for me.

It's most likely a registry issue, possible due to a virus, but I don't know what to do. Any help would be apprectiated. Thanks!

Like I said in the 1st post, I tried a system restore a couple of times and it said it couldn't restsore to previous state-- didn't work. Here's some additional information that might help someone help myself----

I had the old CD drive before I got the Samsung CDRW/DVD drive---- the same issue was occuring to the CD drive BEFORE I bought the other drive--- I bought the other drive and the same problem was happening to it that was happening to the CD drive. So, whatever the underlying issue is, it's preventing me from having a brand new drive from working, and like I said-- system restore isn't working----- I tried setting it back to a couple of different restore points before the incident, and to no avail. Thanks!

Here are a few things you may try. First, if both your drives are installed on the same IDE chanel (i.e. same cable) one drive must have its jumper set to master and the other one to slave (the jumpers are located in the back of the unit and a label should tell you where to set them for different setups).
If they are already set properly or if they are on different IDE chanel or if you only have one drive installed, try the following.
Go in your control panel, select system, then hardware tab, then device manager. Locate the cd/dvd entry, right click and select delete. Reboot your system. Windows will detect new hardware and install fresh drivers.

If both your drives are installed, it is possible that one of them is broken and is dragging the other one down. Install them one at a time.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post. I originally had the DVD/CDRW drive set to master and the other to slave. I unplugged both the DVD/CDRW drive and the CD drive and only put back the DVD/CDRW drive and made sure all the connections were tight. By the way, this same problem occurred with the CD a few days before I bought the DVD/CDRW drive---- the new DVD/CDRW drive came with a new(well don't know the term-- looks loke tape -- connects from the back of your optical device to the motherboard), so it couldn't of been a bad one of these. It also came with this smaller wire set that looks like it connects to the port labelled audio out--right next to the master/slave section, with 2 ends the same and an additional connection that goes somewhere-- do I need this for any reason--never needed it before?-- if not, what's it for. Someone mentioned before that I should try deleting old devices that are no longer used on the computer, because the computer might get confused. They mentioned the "CD" section, but I don't see one in the Device manager--- just DVD/CD-ROM--- which only shows current devices not old ones no longer on the computer.-- How would I go about taking off any old driver info or devices? Thanks for the help!

additional info-- i did the delete thing in the device manager before, and i did it again-- same thing-- yellow cirlce with black exclamation point in device manager when the computer boots back up after restart--- still reads, "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
in property. Whatever this is, it doesn't care which drive I have in.

First off, that cable is your audio cable out. It usually plugs in to your MOBO (integrated audio) or sound card. It allows you to play audio CD.
As to the other problem, have you tried it through the install/remove hardware under the control panel. That would be my next step. record the model/part number of your drive, select from list and go from there.

Thanks--- Ya, I tried the add hardware wizard before to no avail. I went ahead and did it again, and it worked!-- weird-- possibly the window sp2 update had something to do with it?--- I think maybe old drivers, or something, could of had something to do with all of this. Does anyone know how to get rid of old device drivers or its' information off the computer. Thanks again

The easy way out is through device manager and deleting or disabling the invalid entries. If you know your way around computer, you can also delete the entries from the windows registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom