cd burning trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmalcore

Beta member
Hi-

I'm burning all of my brothers files from this computer onto cd-r's (he's in the army, moving to germany in a month). The burning was going just fine, I finished about 15 cds, but then I ran into trouble.

I am using windows XP, so I drag the files from his D drive onto the F drive, to copy, then I click "burn these files to cd."

The windows cd burning wizard asks me to name the cd, I do that, then it starts burning, and after a few minutes, an error message pops up stating that "There was an error while burning this cd. The cd may no longer be usable. What would you like to do with the files? ... ..."

I tried over then, with the same batch of files (mp3s) and the same thing happened. It does ruin the cdr. So then I moved on, and it worked fine.

Until it happened again, with a different set of files (again mp3s).

I moved on to a bunch of programs compressed with winace, and the first folder failed. Then the second one worked. Then the third failed. I've now wasted 5 cds...

So I came here.

Does anyone have some ideas of what I can try doing to remedy this?

Thanks in advance for the help,

dm

The most I can tell you, unless you can tell me where I can find you more info, is that I'm burning with the cd writing wizard...just through the little option on the left (cd writing tasks) of the window in Windows XP. I drag the file from the D drive to the F drive and it gives me the option then to write that file to cd. There really seems to be no special program, I'm not using musicmatch or windows media player or something to facilitate the burn...

In the device manager it says the f-drive is the "IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24" if that helps...

I'm burning the files as data files. Most of the time, it works. Then, for some files, it just doesn't work. the file extension doesn't seem to matter, as mp3s work one time then the next they don't.

I would try to break down the groups of files to see if I could isolate some file as causing the problem, but I'm hoping there is a less expensive solution than ruining a bunch of disks trying to figure that out.

The .ace files are really the most important thing I'm burning, but again, it's not limited to them.... the .mp3's weren't working either.

Thanks.

I'm working with a 56k modem here...so the download might have to wait if I cant get anything else to work.

One possible thing, I have a network cable, and another computer with free space, I was thinking about copying the files over to that computer, and trying that burner. Is that a decent idea?

also, does anyone have any other recommendations of forums I could visit to see if they have any ideas?

Thanks.

Hmm....some were downloaded through Kazaa, I would say. Some are copied from cd's already owned onto the computer. That probably covers 99% of the mp3s. But again, this isn't limited to mp3s. The .ace files wouldn't burn either. And I get the feeling that if I kept burning everything else on the drive, I'd run into some other groups of files that didn't work either.

It's puzzling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom