caviar rating on hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

woltej1

Solid State Member
what do these rating really mean or stand for? I'm in the process of building a PC and have made a couple lists of different parts to get people's thoughts on them and I always pick a caviar green hard drive for some reason and they always say get a black or something. What does the caviar rating mean and why aren't greens a good main?

black has two processors, green is the ECO version. blue to me, is just for everyday use.
i use the 500GB black with 32mb cache. partition the drive when you install the drive. i have windows 7 on a 100gb partition and the rest for storage . to confuse you even more there is a enterprise edition also. usually used by OEM vendors.

what do these rating really mean or stand for? I'm in the process of building a PC and have made a couple lists of different parts to get people's thoughts on them and I always pick a caviar green hard drive for some reason and they always say get a black or something. What does the caviar rating mean and why aren't greens a good main?

Black = High Performance - Gamers keep these drives in mind, as they're one of the best from WD, below the VelociRaptor.

Blue = Standard Performance - Mainly used in Mainstream builds, and some OEM configurations, great drives.

Green = Lowest Performance - Mainly used as storage devices, and not as main hard drives, due to the fact that they're slow. If you're not gaming, or building a high performance computer, these would be ideal. I have one in my HTPC, and it works great for that purpose.

Samsung Barracuda's are very good drives, and sometimes out perform even Black drives from Western Digital, only being surpassed by the Raptor line up, which are 10,000RPM, and about double the price. SSD's are what you'd like to look into if you're building a newer generation gaming PC.

A SSD is a good choice for fast hdd processing. Boot time is AWESOME :D

I have only used Blue in the past, as I am not a gamer.

I had many Barracudas in my past, down to a 20GB PATA :p Only a 500GB SATA failed on me, but that was a recertified, so I didn't expect it to have a long lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom