Case LED Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
After looking at a number of computers on the net, I have noticed that many of them have these lights which well...light up the inside of the case.

I have found them to be incredibly annoying. It isn't very comfortable to have this ridiculously bright light shining in my eyes whenever I'm using the computer or even sleeping. I've only seen a purpose to them if they have a switch or if your case is on the floor.

What's your take on the whole addition of LED lights to the inner or even outer workings of the case?

diabloII said:
it's just something to show off to your computer-illiterate friends

I figured that was one of the reasons. To be honest though, I'd rather look like I have a boring case that looks like a Dell than be blinded every second of my life.

Basicly to improve the visual of your case, mine's under my desk so to be fair I couldn't careless if it was really bright but I do have lights and catho tubes but they are never on.

Despite my dislike towards the whole "case light" idea, I was actually looking into doing so with my case. Is it fairly easy to install the lights and install a switch with them?

Apparently my power supply (look in sig) has a green LED and after looking at pictures of it in the dark, its pretty damn bright. But since it is a powersupply, the light should only be thrown out the back of the tower, correct? Would it be possible to shut this light off at will?

It' very easy to switch fan's, I'm not too sure about actually turning off the lights on a LEDFan because thats what they are made for, maybe a bit of expert wiring you could - but you can't just plug in a switch and switch the LEDLights on and off unless they come with a switch but I have yet to see these, the lights what I am talking about are Catho Tubing lights which can vary from 6" 12" etc and mine came with a On/Off Switch - these are quite big and light up the whole of your case in-stead of a little LED on your Fan(s).

Again if the lights come from the PSU out of the back It should bother you unless you 've got the PSU lights poniting in your face or on the other hand you may have a 120MM fan on your PSU in that case the lights will most likely be shining down at the motherboard.

I'm not too sure about installing a switch to switch off the LED lights but after all they normally are not that bright anyways.

Are these lights relatively cheap? Where can I go about buying them? How many lights do you think I would need if I wanted to illuminate the case so the parts were somewhat visible?

I personally think any lights in your computer are rediculous. It shows nothing. As diabloII said, so you can show your friends who dont know anything.
Funny story, my roomate here at college just upgraded his computer... his case and PSU, hardly an upgrade. And thinks its the coolest thing cause its blue and has lights all over it. Holy freakin yawn. I told him it looks retarded, he didn't get it. But thats another story...

I'm not too sure where you live but here in the UK you can pick up some cheap LEDCase lights for around £1-3 but these are the really cheap fan's. Depending if you are wanting good airflow (CFM) with these fan's buy more expensive ones.

Many decent online retailers will sell them most likely your local computer shops too, I would consider the local shops first if you are just looking for LED fan's because ordering online includes shipping fee's etc.

How many? well I've got 3 at the moment - 1 120MM Fan, 2 80MM Fans one on my Heatskin, one on the sidewindow and one on the top and looking at it now it's quite lite up but the heatskin fan is right in the middle and is bigger so its going to have more led's on.

if your looking for LED lights there cheap and good."Story Time" but it really is funny my tech teacher told me to buy them to see what the others say. im the only one in the class that knows what im doing. so i took my computer up tp the school and turned it on everyone was like " So cool the colors "only blue" i9 was laughing my @ss off it funny. but back on topic sorry um the LED are cheap but look around and if some parts are UV buy a Uv light so they can show up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom