CAS Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

elp

Baseband Member
How much difference should I expect to see in Crucial CL3 PC3200 and OCZ PC3200 CL2.5 with heatsinks? Price difference is negligible but does CL make a difference in games etc?

The reason I went for crucial at cl3 was because this is meant to be a much more stable setting than 2.5 or 2.0. Plus you can overclock this thing to near DDR 500 speeds which actually puts it ahead of even corsairs better modules.

The CAS Latency number refers to the first number on this picture, and all numbers should be as low as possible.

timings.gif

Just to give you all a quick run down on what CL really means in terms of speed and performance is .5% difference between CL-3 and CL-2.5, and that is only on the initial burst of information not on the whole transfer. I think too much emphasis is placed on Cas Latency which only effects less then 1% of the overall performance. So lower can be better but is it really that must better? No, just my opinion.

Thanks for the responses

CrucialLabs, do you know the timing settings for the crucial PC3200 512 CL3 module?

Although CL rate lower is faster, but u cant c the difference much.
( 2-3 )

but don't go just off the cl...some are higher...in the 3's but the higher pc(ie pc4000) makes up for it.

well yeah pc4000 has a 4.0GB/s transfer vs. pc3200 which has a 3.2GB/s Transfer. But pc4000 doesn't do any good if you your motherboard doesn't support above 400MHz cause pc4000 runs at 500MHz (or is it 533?) The transfer rate is because of the higher MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom