cas 3.0 vs cas 2.0 huge difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
i'm looking at some of the prices at newegg and this is how the pricing seems to go:

2 x 1GB at 3.0 cas = 2 x 512 MB at 2.0 cas

with some variance of course. however, by and large you seem to have to trade half your memory for 2.0 cas (or spend twice as much).

i'm thinking of upgrading to a dual channel DDR mobo so i definitely want 2x of the same chips. im wondering, does 2.0 cas make a world of difference in a dual channel setup?

Yet again, memory latency has a much greater effect on stability than bandwidth, therefore if you are not overclocking, 2-2-2 will not make a world of a difference over 3-4-4.

i would still get the 2-2-2-5 since no program requires 2GB... overclocking would be a good idea too...:p

pc_boy said:
i would still get the 2-2-2-5 since no program requires 2GB... overclocking would be a good idea too...:p

i like to plan ahead. since i gotta get 2 chips to dual channel i may as well get something that'll last a while.

as for over-clocking... well i dont usually do it. so if im not gonna over-clock then maybe 3.0 will do the trick for me?

as i understood it, cas latency has at least some effect on bandwidth, but garra is saying that it simply has a more noticable effect on stability?

Latency has some effect on bandwidth, don't get me wrong, but we're talking about a difference of a couple mb/s, which is nothing. However, if you're buying low latency memory, you doing it for overclocking, not for better bandwidth at stock speeds.

thanks a lot for the advice garra, i think i'll save myself a few bucks and go with 3.0 cas.

now to find a brand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom