card reader problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthamartha

Beta member
Bought a new card reader and my PC (running XP professional) recognises the device but won't read anything on it. tried CF and SD cards. plugged it into my laptop (also XP pro) and all ok so not the reader or the card! any ideas? PC will read card straight from camera.

thx - but have tried all 4 usb ports! also tried friend's card reader with same result. but previously used a different card reader (not available to try again) which worked ok.

Do other devices work on those usb ports? Some times you have to enable the usb ports in device manager, or install software for the ones not online.

yes they all work - have things plugged in to all of them and had to swap around (printer, cordless mouse, graphics pad). also the port I had the card reader plugged into in the first place is fine with external hard drive, memory stick, etc. someone said there is a setting somewhere in XP that may be wrong so that it recognises the device exists but not as a hard drive? does that make sense? couldn't find anything.

tried that too - says device is working properly - and shows up correctly in Windows Explorer - just won't read cards!!!! something wierd is going on... thx for trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom