In-car Windows Screen w/Sat-nav

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcon5

Baseband Member
Hello,

I want some form of touch-screen monitor to build on to my dashboard in my car in which I can connect to the internet using an anywhere wireless service.

I am not sure what to look for exactly. I would possibly like to have sat-nav on it but not sure what I would have to do to have this done...

Thanks

that would basically be a navigational system. You have a variety that use different antenna's, but yes, navigational. You can get a touch screen monitor and with a lot of money and time, 'build' it yourself but i think it would be cheaper this way.

Any of the major manuf. offer services like this. Tom-Tom, Garmin, etc. You just have to buy the model that has the Internet feature. We just got a Garmin and we love it.

Thanks for replying, its not however just a satalite navigation system I want - I need to be able to run a couple of my own applications on the system in addition to maybe using sat nav instead of having that attached to the dashbard seperately.

do you want it built into the dash? they make setups where you can have it replace your indash deck with a double-din display. thing is you have to have a double-din slot to do it.

but if you want it like a computer, then you'll need to do some custom work. Its possible to get a picto ITX computer, 1ghz, 1gb sodimm, 320gb hdd, and psu all in a super small setup, about the size of a playing card, and mount behind the dash and have a small touch screen mounted in the dash. It would be close to 500-600 bucks but its do-able.

Dont want it built in to the dash. Thinking more of a touch screen attached to it in a similar way to that of a sat-nav.. but never seen such sollutions.

Will do a search for that picto ITX computer

While you can build your own touch-screen computer within your dash, w/ your own custom apps, you could also get a satallite internet feed or do something like a quick connect card to get your internet, you won't be able to use a gps software / navigation system like you see true GPS systems have. Those are proprietary software systems linked to GPS navigation that will be extremely difficult to find w/o having to use their touch screen system (which would make it to where you can't download your own apps).

Basically you just want a computer in your car with a touchscreen monitor right? So you could even tuck the computer in the trunk or something like that. Iv been wanting to do that for a long time, iv got an old laptop iv been modifying to put in my car but im still looking for a good monitor (might go with a touch). Main thing is to look for something that has some sort of anti-glare coating, like this LCD XG10

With my laptop iv just removed the screen and keyboard to make it skinny enough to fit under the passenger side seat, then I would just use a power inverter to power everything, like this one Newegg.com - Rosewill RCP-511F 400W DC To AC Power Inverter

Also forgot to mention, if you want GPS just get a GPS reciever (like a deluo) and any 3rd-party mapping system (I use Microsoft streets and trips) and your good to go.

Risensun, that was really useful. Thanks for that.

I have been looking around the web and think there may be an easier solution. I saw this item - its like a tablet pc/mini laptop.

I could then try to find an adapter to power it from the car.

However, this does pose some issues:

- I need a GPS arial which will plug in to it
- I will need a mapping software - any ideas as I am UK BASED and Microsoft Street is US and Canada based. Can anybody recommend some software?

Can people also suggest a laptop tablet or something similar to that in the link from a UK based company?

Thanks

Just an afterthought, I dont really know much about PDA's but what do you think about these for my needs.

I need to be able to add programs - I have a .net program I need on it so will install .net framework aswell - not sure if PDAs have proper memory for such installations.

If you need internet you could always buy one of those USB modems that cell phone companies sell. They are really fast and you wont have to worry because it will work in most places. The only prob would be the monthly subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom