Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   Cant update to ATI 10.3 drivers from 9.12, help? (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/cant-update-ati-10-3-drivers-9-12-help-229544/)

Wildside 04-23-2010 08:41 PM

Cant update to ATI 10.3 drivers from 9.12, help?

I've tried this once n i decided to try again just now. When i go to install or uninstall old drivers, the program quits itself. I cannot continue further after that. I remember last time i uninstalled my old drivers once but i still couldnt install the new 10.3 driver. What are my opens to fixing this problem?

EDIT:

i think i need to really clean my system of any viruses n stuff first n see if that helps. Anyone recommend a freeware i can use?

95BlackGA 04-23-2010 09:46 PM

Re: Cant update to ATI 10.3 drivers from 9.12, help?

MalwareBytes, CCleaner, Spybot and AVG are my personal choices.

Do you have admin rights? Try running in compatibility mode. Do you get to at least extract the installer to C:\ATI\***? You can at least update the driver if you've been able to extract. The bad thing about that is not being able to update CCC.

Wildside 04-23-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95BlackGA (Post 1798679)
MalwareBytes, CCleaner, Spybot and AVG are my personal choices.

Do you have admin rights? Try running in compatibility mode. Do you get to at least extract the installer to C:\ATI\***? You can at least update the driver if you've been able to extract. The bad thing about that is not being able to update CCC.

i can extract it yes. When it goes to the options of Install or Uninstall, it doesnt continue after that. Compatibility mode doesnt work.

Trotter 04-24-2010 08:15 AM

Safe mode?

yzmxer608 04-24-2010 09:15 AM

That happened to me, got sick of it (and because of other things) I reformated. Solved it for a little while then started again. Now I just manually install and uninstall the drivers through the device manager. The rest of the CCC still works so I just use that version. Trotter has a good point, not sure if I ever tried it in safe mode before though, worth a try if you haven't.

Wildside 04-25-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yzmxer608 (Post 1798744)
That happened to me, got sick of it (and because of other things) I reformated. Solved it for a little while then started again. Now I just manually install and uninstall the drivers through the device manager. The rest of the CCC still works so I just use that version. Trotter has a good point, not sure if I ever tried it in safe mode before though, worth a try if you haven't.

ah yes good ol' device manager root. I shall try that one.

Safe mode wont do anything for me knowing ive tried before.

Slaymate 04-25-2010 03:31 PM

Your system may have some leftover files still installed that are causing a conflict with the newer files. Have you tried running Driver Sweeper from within Safe Mode, rebooting and installing?
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (no installer) download from Guru3D.com

Wildside 04-25-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaymate (Post 1799059)
Your system may have some leftover files still installed that are causing a conflict with the newer files. Have you tried running Driver Sweeper from within Safe Mode, rebooting and installing?
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (no installer) download from Guru3D.com

i have used that before. Perhaps i can try again. Last time i did i had to go back to my old restore point because i couldnt install the new drivers.