Can't start up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickhiker

Beta member
For about two weeks, my desktop (2.8ghz P4 and about 10 months old) has had problems with spontaneous shutdowns for no reason, occasional will not starts, and also the monitor going black with no apparent cutoff of CPU at times (have to reboot to get back up). Until about three weeks ago one fan in the system (not sure which) was particularly noisy for a few days, but a good dose of canned air seemed to have eliminated that problem. I have noticed that on the occasions when the system would not boot, that the CPU and motherboard (Abit IC7-G) fans would not rotate even though the lights come on (with no beep) as if to start up, and then failing. I turned off the power supply and rechecked all the connections were solid, and then the system would start up (maybe) and the fans were rotating. Last night the system cutoff while preparing to burn a DVD, and I have not been able to restart. The fans are both dead mentioned earlier, although the case fan and power supply fan are both still working. My power supply is an Antec True 380 (380 watt), and I have only one burner, a floppy drive, 120 gb HD, 1 gig of RAM, and use flash drives often. 90% of my work with the system is editing photos, and I do downloads direct from a digital SLR nearly every day. The light on the motherboard still glows as if power is getting to the LED. Does this sound like a power supply failure? When PSU's fail, do they still offer enough juice to the system to light up, but not start? I'm still sort of a newbie at the tech end, so be gentle please! Thanks!

Does indeed sound like a PSU failure...yes they will have enough juice just to power on LED's and or even run some fans but will cause the comp to do the things you mention, shutting off, random reboots, things like that.

Thank you Nubius! Am I correct that the wattage (380) should have been plenty for my set up? Is there any sound reason to go to a larger PSU? I do plan on an additional and larger HD sometime soon. Is Antec a lemmon brand, or am I just lucky (not!)? Should the data in my HD still be sound (it was during my last startup)? Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom