Can't make two network card work! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

have another system to check the card's workability? is the Via the one that is integrated, or are they both PCI?

Old 04-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Why are you trying to get two network cards to work in the same computer?

I know windows 2000 had an option where if...for whatever reason, you had two different ISPs, say a cable line and the other DSL, you could put in two network cards and plug in each ISP and get the combined bandwidth, but unless you're doing that what do you need two NIC cards for?

Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hey nubius, doesnt windows have the packet forwarding/NAT feature allowing 2 NICS so you can use one box as router?I know it allows connection sharing with a modem.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to LegendBreath

To do a "router" well kind of... and, the VIA is on board and the SMC is a PCI card that work in other systems... And, for the bandwidth thing u can do that in XP too...
Old 04-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

it looks like the card just will not work with your motherboard properly then, if you have systems with one already in it, you can try a s little switcheroo on it
Old 04-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

your going to have to either move something or reallocate the IRQ's from another device(s) so it will work, some devices only have 1 or 2 they will work with, check the address range(s) too, they may be conflicting as well
Old 04-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Hey nubius, doesnt windows have the packet forwarding/NAT feature allowing 2 NICS so you can use one box as router?I know it allows connection sharing with a modem.
Honestly don't know. I have never really gotten into networking and as you can tell by me referencing win2k I'm definitely out of the loop as far as networking options go in various OS's..

I figured XP would have it still, but I just specifically remembered it from win2k.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well, thanks for the honest answer, its actually not a common thing for windows users to do it seems, its very very common with linux, and easily done.You can have as many NIC's as you want with some OS's and route things however is needed.I know XP can do a shared connection with a modem, that got started with win98SE and winMe, but it was pretty unstable and hard to get to work, I figured with win2000 or XP they'd have fixed that or added to it.Every customer Ive ever done networking for with windows boxes has used a hardware router or one I built using linux,ive never messed with XP networking much either really.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoExtreme
It is possible to pull the same IRQ in a different PCI slot.
Yes but the maximum number of pci slots that share a single IRQ line is 2. So, if it turns out that both NICs are in 2 pci slots that share an IRQ (this possibility being the reason I made the suggestion to start with) then moving one of them to a different slot means, by definition, it will then be on a different IRQ line!

Closed Thread