can't load xp disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherlady

Beta member
hello, Hopefully someone knows about this problem and how to solve it, please. I had a emachine with windows 98 for several years. It just died on me. My friend got me a used gateway intel pentium 2. I tried to put my windows 98 disc in it and it got to where it asked for a number. Apparently I didn't keep that info. So I bought a windows xp home edition disc and tried to download, if that is the right word, it won't take it. I don't know if it is because the windows 98 is in there and I can' t seem to get it out or what. I am not real computer smart as you can tell. Can anyone help this ninny??hahha. thank you so much

so if you boot from the cd you cant install windows? or you cant boot from the cd? make sure you have bios set to boot from the cd drive before the HDD.

You need to put the windows XP disk in the Cd ROM drive and then reboot your computer.If your computer is set up right it will boot off of the windows XP disk.If it doesn't then its not reading the cdrom disk.If that is the case then let me know and well take it from there.If it does the you will get a setup message and the setup program will scan your computer.If it meets the specs to install it will continue on and do a scan disk.Just follow the instructions.It will get to a menu and you want to read what key to press to continue like f8 for the agree to license agreement and then it will ask you either what partition you want to install windows to and below it will show hopefully only 1 if not check the one with the highest numbers and it might say windows 98.If it does high lite it and click the key to continue it will ask if you really want to do this and all data will be lost on that partition. Click the key to continue,it will ask you to format and there will be i think 3 options leave as is format,tfs quick,ntfs just chose ntfs not the quick option.just read it car fully and click the keys to continue.Then it should start the setup up and toward the end of the install you will have to put in your serial numbers but thats easy.If when your all done and some things don't work like modem or sound card or video you will need to find drivers for those things.You can come back here to find out how to do that hope this helps.
Pat .S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom