Can't install OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
I got old computer of mirsubishi brand. When I bought it had windows 98 load in it. Now I want to install windows 2000. I did make sure from the BIOS that computer boots from CDROM, I did boot with windows 2000 in it so that I can format harddisk and install windows 2000.

All it happens is, it says press any key to install...... and the screen flash and then again boot from harddisk, and windows 98 loads.

Is there any way around to erase HDISK and install 2000 or do I need to buy new hardisk ? :(

dont buy a new hard disk, no need for that

either use a boot disk and boot up and format c: or format c: from inside windows, keep in mind, you do this and there's no going back, windows will allow you to erase itself while its running :)

Delete Windows 98, then run a fresh copy of W2000, if that doesn't work, then get a new HD like he said above.

You can format the drive when you go to install Windows. Alllows you to chose Fat32 or NTFS. Make sure you chose NTFS.

Thanks horndude, Did you mean that after booting up windows 98, goto c:\> and format C: will erase whole ahrd disk ?

If yes, It could help me. Thanks

yep, or boot up in DOS mode and do it, just be aware, there's NO going back, but it will erase the whole drive so win2000 should have a clean slate to work from

Seriously though, the safest way to do this just to be sure, is to download an old win98 install boot floppy or make one with win98,boot that up, and then erase the disk, and use fdisk on it too and clear the partition just to be sure, reason being, Im not entirely sure win2000 will look at the MBR of the disk at install, formatting it under DOS might not erase the MBR, I think it will, but im not certain, I dont want you to get in a situation where you cant install win2000 or boot win98, I am about 99.9% sure it will work, ive done this with win98 before, but never installed another windows version other than 98 afterwards.BUT, even if you get stuck in that situation, a simple dos boot disk and a copy of fdisk on floppy will cure that and allow you to wipe the disk clean no matter what.

I recently had this issue with winXP on someone's machine, winXP wouldnt format the disk and allow an install without first wiping the disk clean via a floppy and a DOS level reformat, it kept hanging at the format screen when using the winXP cdrom, once I formatted it clean under DOS, it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom