Can't get my comp to recognize my drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
Hello,

I have been trying to get my computer to recognize my disk drive which is a nec nd-3500AG. My OS is windows xp home edition. When I go to the my computer window, I don't see my disk drive there as it used to show up there. I go to the device manager and it shows my disk drive there but with a "!" mark on the icon by it.

The drive worked fine until strangely it stopped reading cd's. I've tried everything I could think of, from messing with the ribbon cables to making the drive the master and the hard drive the slave and running the ribbon cable that connects them both into the IDE1 interface. I even swapped my disk drive with another disk drive which still my comp didn't recognize the disk drive. So this leads me to thinking most likely its not the drive's problem itself but something else, maybe even something simple but I don't know.

Anyone, please give me any sort of idea to how I may fix this so my comp will recognize my disk drive once again.

Thanks

When you double click on the drive in device manager, what does it say in regards to Device Status?

here's a copy paste of what it says in the device status.
---------------------------------------------

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

---------------------------------------------

Also I forgot to add in that when I go and check for the disk drive in bios and see if it sees it, it actually shows up sometimes in bios but sometimes it doesn't too. Even when it does see it in bios and I launch into windows, I still get the same problem I explained above.

this is what you have to do..
If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

That is a good idea but I can't find any sort of driver for the NEC nd -3500AG, I used google and I can't find it. I did find one site that did offer firmware of it but when I tried to download that it prompted me to the NEC website and on the same window it said that the site has been re structured. I spent a while looking around on the NEC site and I still couldn't find any sort of driver or firmware that was for the NEC nd - 3500AG.

{SNIP}

Please do not give destructive advice, even if it is intended to be humourous. Thanks. -Q

Since you are having problems seeing the drive in BIOS, check your jumper settings. The device that is hooked up to the end of the ide cable should be set as master, and the device that is connected in the middle of the cable should be slave. Cable select would work too, but I suggest you actually set them as master/slave for now since cable select sometimes causes issues. Make sure the cables are firmly in place.

Note: If you only have one harddrive and one cd drive, I would put the harddrive as master on IDE1 and the cddrive as master on IDE2.

In addition, in Device manager click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, select Primary IDE channel - Properties - and choose Auto Detection and DMA if applicable. Do the same for Secondary IDE channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom