Cant format drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeboy84

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a harddrive... an W.D. harddrive and i am having a very hard time formating the drive... In fact i cant format at all. Everytime iim trying to format the drive it says that i am using a file or program in the Harddrive, even though its new and has nothing in it so i go to the harddrive and activate show all files and i deleted some files, all the files are deleted except one... Called Info2.something and i cant dlt that. Please help me!

Is the a second harddrive within windows? Or is this going to be the main hdd the os is on? How are you trying to format it? Did you try to format it is diskmgmt.msc?

This is what you do. That hard drive came with a Western Digital
CD, Right? 1) Put the WD cd in your cdrom 2) go into yor cmos and make the cdrom the first bottable drive. the new drive should be jumpered as a slave. boot the WD utilites by booting to the cdrom and follow the directions. Make sure the new drive is jumpered as a slave!!!!!!!!! Once you have it formated. Make the new disk the master and install windows the same way. When yo are all done re-enter the cmos and make the new hd the first bootable drive and you are good to go. I am presuming you want the new drive as the master? You can use the old drive as the slave and copy any files you want back to the new drive.

Make sure that in the western digitial utilites program that you select the non-bootable slave as the one you want to format!!!!!

Start>run>cmd
type format x: (where x: is your drives driveletter!!)
It will ask u to unmount the drive, press y.
After formatting compeleted you can format it using the NTFS filesystem if you want.
Start>run>diskmgmt.msc
rightclick>format etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom