Can't decide on CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicf23

Solid State Member
I've been trying to decide between a Pentium M 1.6 Ghz and a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz w/HT for my new notebook. I'll be using the notebook mainly for webpage devolopment and digital video editing, but I also want to be able to take it with me to work and on the road.

Sry, I pressed the wrong button. (lol you can tell I'm a noob). Anyway, I know that the desktop CPUs use a lot of batt. power and generate a ton of heat. Is there any risk to the notebook from this heat? A while back I had a Pentium II notebook that would overheat and shutdown unless you proped it up on something to cool it.

the pentium M would make less heat and take less voltage. Probably wont overheat. I would take the M for your purposes.

Well, the 2 notebook i'm deciding between are the Dell Inspiron 8600 and 9100. I'd really like someone who owned one of those notebook to give me an idea of how they preform with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premire, Macromedia Dreamweaver, (other high-resourse apps). And if I'd get a noticeable boost between a 400 Mhz and 800 Mhz FSB.

Id go not with a dell because dells are dells and no one wants a dell besides you :) All teh big company's use low end parts.

BIG_AIZZLE said:
Id go not with a dell because dells are dells and no one wants a dell besides you :) All teh big company's use low end parts.

Where did you hear that from? Have you actually taken apart a Dell and examined it? or their notebook for that matter?

For once i'd like someone on a computer forum to actually backup what they write with credible information instead of regurgitating what they heard 'some other guy say'.

Dells have a solid reputation in the tech community for makign excellent quality laptops... Toshibas also for matter. Both for the performance and reliability factors, both brand names have been recognized as being very good in the tech community.

Vic, does that Pent M chip have the wireless capabilit built-in as with their Centrinos do? Will you need wireless/ or internet access while you'er on the road w/ this laptop? These are all factors you will need to consider when you decide. There's no question the P 4 will outperform the Pent M in terms of data crunchign speed - how much video editing will you be doign on the laptop? If it's minimal i'd suggest going w/ the Pent M.

I'd actually be doing quite a bit of video editing on this notebook, and I will be getting a 802.11 b/g lan card and possibly a cellular internet card. I'm just worried how all the extra heat will effect the life of the notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom