Cannot see external IDE HDD!!!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Cannot see external IDE HDD!!!!!

I brought a caddy that connect my IDE hard-drive through the USB port on my computer. I followed all the instructions (jumper is set to master but I tried all the combinations) and installed the drivers. However, no matter how or when I plug it in, it just doesn't show up in my computer. In device manager, I can see it under 'disk drives' and in its properties it shows that it works. I even went to disk management (diskmgmt.msc) but it just does not detect it there. In the 'safely remove hardware' icon it also shows up but I can't do anything with it. I have wasted approximately 8 hrs on this & I can't get my head around it-my eyes are burning.

Someone PLEASE give me a solution before I cause some real damage to my computer,thanks.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

You need to format the hard drive with disk management

Old 06-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Like I said, I've been to disk management and the drive is not there. It is already formatted and partitioned as it works when I connect it internally but it don't work externally!!! Please help me!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Any other solutions? Anyone? Please?
Closed Thread