Can you mix IDE with SATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I'm upgrading my mobo soon and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to RAID up a couple SATA drives with the boards sata capabilities, but still boot from and use IDE? (since the board supports both...but at the same time?)

I believe u can do it, as SATA's arent detected as Primary/Secondary drives.

why do u need to create RAID? as in RAID, you wont find too much performance boost, but at the same time you'll lose 1 H/D.

do you have some crucial data to take care of?

goto 'hardware tips/tricks and FAQ' just below 'hardware zone'.
there is good piece on SATA from MICROBELL.very good stuff.
that should help

grego said:
I'm upgrading my mobo soon and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to RAID up a couple SATA drives with the boards sata capabilities, but still boot from and use IDE?
Yes, just set ide to primary boot in bios to have it boot up first. If you want your primary drives to be sata put the sata drives primary and make sure the bios reads them as 1 drive when their in raid or your not in raid. :p
(since the board supports both...but at the same time?)
Yes

I'm thinking about getting a couple 80-100 GB SATA's and using them in a Raid-0 if the new motherboard I get supports it, which it probably will. It's a video editing rig and I hear raid produces substantial performance gains in that area.

I'm thinking about getting a couple 80-100 GB SATA's and using them in a Raid-0 if the new motherboard I get supports it, which it probably will.

Make sure you understand the difference between the levels of raid before you decide to use raid0.
RAID-0
RAID Level 0 is not redundant, hence does not truly fit the "RAID" acronym. In level 0, data is split across drives, resulting in higher data throughput. Since no redundant information is stored, performance is very good, but the failure of any disk in the array results in data loss. This level is commonly referred to as striping.
RAID-1
RAID Level 1 provides redundancy by writing all data to two or more drives. The performance of a level 1 array tends to be faster on reads and slower on writes compared to a single drive, but if either drive fails, no data is lost. This is a good entry-level redundant system, since only two drives are required; however, since one drive is used to store a duplicate of the data, the cost per megabyte is high. This level is commonly referred to as mirroring.
RAID-2
RAID Level 2, which uses Hamming error correction codes, is intended for use with drives which do not have built-in error detection. All SCSI drives support built-in error detection, so this level is of little use when using SCSI drives.
RAID-3
RAID Level 3 stripes data at a byte level across several drives, with parity stored on one drive. It is otherwise similar to level 4. Byte-level striping requires hardware support for efficient use.
RAID-4
RAID Level 4 stripes data at a block level across several drives, with parity stored on one drive. The parity information allows recovery from the failure of any single drive. The performance of a level 4 array is very good for reads (the same as level 0). Writes, however, require that parity data be updated each time. This slows small random writes, in particular, though large writes or sequential writes are fairly fast. Because only one drive in the array stores redundant data, the cost per megabyte of a level 4 array can be fairly low.
RAID-5
RAID Level 5 is similar to level 4, but distributes parity among the drives. This can speed small writes in multiprocessing systems, since the parity disk does not become a bottleneck. Because parity data must be skipped on each drive during reads, however, the performance for reads tends to be considerably lower than a level 4 array. The cost per megabyte is the same as for level 4.

Raid0 provides the fastest performance out of the 5 but without any harddrive to have backup files you may be screwed as raid0 is very unstable.

It's a video editing rig and I hear raid produces substantial performance gains in that area.

It will be very substantial, but make sure you make a backup of some sort of your work.
RAID-0 is the fastest and most efficient array type but offers no fault-tolerance.

quotes taken from http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/scsi/what_is_raid.html

I've read that article. But is drive stability actually degraded by going raid-0, below that of a single drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom