Can you change the FSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaggleboggin

In Runtime
I'm getting an xpc barebones kit and building off of that. The motherboard that comes with it only supports processors with a 266 FSB. So.... can I buy a processor with a 333 or higher FSB and then change it to 266 and raise the multiplier so it has the lower FSB but same performance?

i do not think you would get the same performance, but you should be able to underclock it. why not just get a 333FSB motherboard? if you stick with the barebones get a 266FSB CPU, not 333FSB.

i recommend staying away from barebones, for the most part they are a rip off. you can get better hardware at newegg for the same price. i've researched many barebones deals and so far they do not seem to be any cheaper than buying each part separate. plus they use low-quality obsolete hardware in their bargain bundles.

I wanted to get a small form factor pc, which is why I'm thinking of going with a barebones. The price doesn't seem more than what I'd pay for the parts separately, or at least not much more. I would really love to have the case of the Fragbox because it looks awesome and has a handle, but I've searched for it and can't find a place to buy it from. I realize I won't get the Fragbox logo and such, but I'd like the same exact thing without any logoes. Does anyone know where I can get this?

Squaggleboggin said:
I'm getting an xpc barebones kit and building off of that. The motherboard that comes with it only supports processors with a 266 FSB. So.... can I buy a processor with a 333 or higher FSB and then change it to 266 and raise the multiplier so it has the lower FSB but same performance?

Last time I checked the multiplier for the core was locked.. The only thing you can change is the FSB to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom