Can video cards slowly go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
I have a Compaq from 2000 and like 2 1/2 years ago lines started showing up on the monitor. Like text you be "smeared" full horizontally accross the monitor. Every image is "smeared" accross the screen but everything is legible and all that. And now the image is starting to be tinted different colors. I hooked a different monitor to the machine to make sure it wasnt the monitor and I still had the same problems so that made me think that it is the GFX card going bad. I just wanted to know if GFX cards could slowly go bad or if you think my problem is being caused by something else.

Chris, he already said he tried a different monitor.

Sounds like video card to me. One thing...did you use a different cable? I really don't *think* it would be the problem, and I don't see how it could be, but it's worth checking out anyway, just in case.

Also consider reinstalling the driver, or testing a different OS. Does it look like that before your OS has loaded...such as in the BIOS stage of the boot? Do you have a boot disk you could pop in to just completely confirm beyond any doubt that the video card is causing the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom