Can VGA play blu ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that VGA can't transmit HDCP (which is compulsory on Blu-rays)? Only digital cables like DVI and HDMI. In which case any BD-R content wouldn't display.
Unless I completely misunderstand HDCP (which is probable).

i rent blu ray movies all the time and they look phenomenal on my 1920x1080 monitor, which i just happen to use the VGA output on since i don't own an HDMI cable.

I thought that VGA can't transmit HDCP (which is compulsory on Blu-rays)? Only digital cables like DVI and HDMI. In which case any BD-R content wouldn't display.
Unless I completely misunderstand HDCP (which is probable).

That is what I thought the problem would be. I thought display devices had to be signed in some way to play back the films (some sort of anti-piracy effort) and that only devices with HDMI ports or "better" were able to handle that...

So for me that is some very interesting info from Mr. Switch. Makes me consider actually bothering with this technology.

Thank You guys, this has been most helpful :)

I can see what you mean about resolution being important but not the only factor of HD viewing.

And what you said MAK213 makes a lot of sense, They are almost bridging on false advertisement, because by definition the monitor is NOT "HD Ready".

So now i have to judge whether it would be worth investing in a screen with a HDMI or DVI connector.
I watched a HD film on my computer by borrowing a external Blu Ray Drive off my brother and i was impressed with the picture quality from my monitor although it was marginally worse than on a HD TV.
I think i'll probably stick with my monitor for now as it is capable of playing "HD FIlms" although not quite in the intended quality they were made for. I can always buy a HDMI cable for my HDTV.

I appreciate all you input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom