Can VGA play blu ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadlock89

Beta member
Hello,

Basically i'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray Drive for my computer and i'm a bit unsure if my screen can play HD films?

My biggest concern is that i only have a VGA port on the back of my Viewsonic va2213w monitor. According to this webpage however - Viewsonic VA2213w - this monitor is capable of Full HD.

I have the ATI HD 5770 which has a HDMI port and DVI which im using a VGA adapter on for my display? Does this bring the quality down in any way?

Thank you for any responses

VGA is an analog connection type. So your not going to get 720 or 1080 out of it. I am trying to figure out how they can say it is HD when they say that it cant do interlaced video.

Hello,

Basically i'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray Drive for my computer and i'm a bit unsure if my screen can play HD films?

My biggest concern is that i only have a VGA port on the back of my Viewsonic va2213w monitor. According to this webpage however - Viewsonic VA2213w - this monitor is capable of Full HD.

I have the ATI HD 5770 which has a HDMI port and DVI which im using a VGA adapter on for my display? Does this bring the quality down in any way?

Thank you for any responses

If you wanna test you can download some high quality demos here.
1080p Demos etc... from Microsoft

WMV HD Content Showcase

Now, as far as I know, VGA/D-Sub connections can display up to 2048x1536 or some resolution like that...

So there's no reason it can't display HD resolution...
And if you have a graphics card that can drive it and do the interlacing...
Maybe 1080p video will look right?

Just download one of those 1080p demos and try to watch it.
If it stalls, looks choppy, or ungodly blurry, you'll probably need a new monitor with a DVI, HDMI, or Displayport connector.
Otherwise, you'll probably be ok.

I watch 720p videos on my laptop and it doesn't have anything fancy.
Just an old SXGA+ 1400x1050 monitor and an ATI X1400 Mobility Radeon.

I can watch 1080p videos... but they lag like a skateboarder trying to go uphill on ice...
So I stick to 720p videos and lower.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1793061 said:
If you wanna test you can download some high quality demos here.
1080p Demos etc... from Microsoft

WMV HD Content Showcase

Now, as far as I know, VGA/D-Sub connections can display up to 2048x1536 or some resolution like that...

So there's no reason it can't display HD resolution...
And if you have a graphics card that can drive it and do the interlacing...
Maybe 1080p video will look right?

Just download one of those 1080p demos and try to watch it.
If it stalls, looks choppy, or ungodly blurry, you'll probably need a new monitor with a DVI, HDMI, or Displayport connector.
Otherwise, you'll probably be ok.

I watch 720p videos on my laptop and it doesn't have anything fancy.
Just an old SXGA+ 1400x1050 monitor and an ATI X1400 Mobility Radeon.

I can watch 1080p videos... but they lag like a skateboarder trying to go uphill on ice...
So I stick to 720p videos and lower.

It may be able to do the resolution, but it can't do the HD quality. LIke Mak said, VGA is an analog connection, whereas DVI/HDMI are digital connections.

The Resolution is above and beyond the lowest and most non critical aspect of this whole equation. Yeah the video card can do it, but that means nothing if the item it is being displayed on cant. That would be like having Blu-Ray and watching it on your wrist watch.

Add into that the fact that this company doesnt know how to sell their product:

Widescreen aspect ratio with 1920 x 1080 resolution
The widescreen aspect ratio allows you to view HD content in its native resolution with no stretching or distortion.

WOW so all i really need to view HD content is a Widescreen aspect ratio?!? But wait, the aspect ratio of the monitor is 1920x1080, what if the video i am watching is not set to that resolution? Does that mean i cant view it without stretching or distortion?

Really just having a widescreen aspect ratio does not mean a thing when it comes to HD. Yeah you maybe able to view the videos, but they are not going to be HD when you compare it to a real monitor that is DVI/HDMI and can do 1080i/1080p.

Sorry to say but resolution has nothing to do with being able to view HD content.

You will be able to display the resolution 1920x1080 but the picture will be nowhere near as sharp compared to a DVI or HDMI cable. This is because VGA is analog and DVI is digital.

yes you can, and it looks great.

I run my monitor through a DVI-to-VGA adapter, and it looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom