can someone help with my modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenzy

Solid State Member
After restoring my laptop back to fresh state again, my system won't detect my modem neither does the aol 9.0 disk. Nothing seems to detect that my modem is there.
I don't know too much info about my modem since I bought the laptop used, but I do know that is by PCtel HSP 56 MicroModem.
Everything was working fine until I've decided to restore my laptop back to when I first bought it.

If someone can help me..I would really appreciate it.

Is the modem integrated into the laptop? Or is this a PCMCIA Type II modem card? Also, what operating system is in use as well as the make/model of your laptop?

-Michael

I think the modem is integrated.. sorry, but I am not 100% certain.
The laptop is
ashton digital passport, 700mhz, P3, 256 ram, running on windows xp professional.
I might be wrong, but it look like the ethernet plug, and the dial up plug is built into one because they are right next to each other very close.

Ok, probably a better question. Can you take the modem port (or card) out of the laptop? This would be done by a push-button on the side of the card. There are several cards on the market that you can buy that have both an ethernet port and a standard 56K modem port.
It's probably integrated into the laptop, but I just want to be sure.

-Michael

I have a suggestion; Put in your restoration disk after you turn off the "autorun" feature for your CD drive. Alternate click on the drive icon. Choose explore option. Look at the contents of the disk and see if there is one labeled "drivers" or something like that. Sometimes they "hide" these drivers.
If you find a folder that looks like it has the right thing, go to the Add hardware section of control panel and have windows search for your device. If it finds it and asks for the driver, direct it to where you found the folder on your CD. If it doesn't find it you may have the option of adding it manually; click "have disk" and try installing it that way.
Hope this helps.

mikesgroovin: No bottons to just push the card out. I think is integrated also.

zeekydageek: The driver for this particular modem I find it very hard to find, but I did find one tho...but I can't try the driver because my computer is telling me that there is no modem installed when there is one.

From the start menu,
Alt-Click My Computer and go into Properties and the Hardware Tab
or
Go into your Control Panel and click System and then the Hardware tab.
Click on Device manager and see if the modem has already been recognized without a proper driver. In this case, right click on the modem and goto the driver tab. Click re-install driver or upgrade driver and then follow the latter portion of Zeeky's instructions above.

-Michael

You do realize that I have xp.. there's no system after control panel.
Please aim me at productionboyz

In control panel hit swich to classic view on the left hand side and it will then appear with a system icon. They are prob. right if you just did an os reinstall your modem drivers and prob. other drivers are not installed. Easy way to tell instead of going that way right click my computer then go down to propierties or (Hit the windows key + Pause break). Go to the hardware tab and then device manager in that list does anything have yellow question marks if so what are they?

Yes. There is a yellow question mark under "other devices" than "PCI simple communication controller"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom