Can read/write HDD, but can't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoserinaz

Beta member
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help!

General problem: PC boots to floppy just fine, reads and writes data (to c drive) just fine, fdisks fine, format /s fine, just won't boot! After seeking floppy and CD, it gives me an error something like "to boot from a floppy, press the CTRL key" and then locks up.

It POSTs with no problem, BIOS looks good (boot to fdd, then cd, then hdd-0), boots to floppy fine, tried to find an ATAPI CD just fine, can fdisk and format /s just fine, can read and write data no problem, can boot to floppy and install Win98 from CD, the whole kit'n'kaboodle, but just won't BOOT to the hdd. Have verified that the Big 3 (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com) are there.

Some notes: The mobo/processor did work fine with a different HDD before, the BIOS is auto-detecting the hdd parameters correctly, I have NOT tried fdisk /mbr'ing yet, no dual boot or other fancy stuff going on, have tried different IDE cables, removed all cards and other drives, reset the bios...... that's all I can think of that might be relevant for now?

I bet I'm just being a bonehead somehow. Hehe! Again, any help greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom