can not turn of my WD external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
Whenever i try to turn off my WD 160 Gig external hard drive(by pressing the on/off button in the front) i get the message

"
The device WD 160JB External USB device could not be removed now!

Please close all running programs and try again later or

Click on “Yes” button to contiunue-Off process
"

i have "safely removed" the hard disk form the USB list and the 8 in 1 media card

how can i turn off my WD media centre

I am assuming that WD Media Center is software that you wish to remove. If you cannot uninstall it through the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs), then you can remove it from the startup.

Click Start > Run. Type "msconfig.exe" and click on the Startup tab. Keep in mind that you can only do this on Windows XP.

You will want to erase the entries in your Registry once this process is complete. You can do that by scanning it with Registry Mechanic.

no, the "WD Media centre" is my WD USB extarnal drive", it has got an On off button in the front which i pressed after "safely removed" the USB drive, and it still comes up with the message
"
WD Button Manager
The device WD 160JB External USB device could not be removed now!

Please close all running programs and try again later or

Click on “Yes” button to contiunue-Off process
"

the on/off button which has a blue LED behind it, flashes.

this is weird
but when i do the "safely remove hardware" on the external hard disk followed by turning off the hard disk, it comes up with the message.

if i dont do the "safely remove hardware" and just hit the off button, the wd disk/computer does not complain.

is it ok to just turn of the hard disk without "safely remove hardware"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom