Can my motherboard do SATA 3.0GB/s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I just bought a hard drive off of newegg because it was a good deal. I am going to use it in my new computer once I get the stuff but for now I am going to put it into my old crappy computer to use as a hard drive for games. I don't know much about SATA all I have used is IDE and I cannot find anything on my motherboard. Here are some of the things I can tell you:

Type: Asus P4P 800-E (Apparanty it didn't do well?)
Socket: 478
It is AGP
It does have SATA port I am not sure if it is 3GB per second.

all help is welcome.

You old pc might not have the sata plugs. I have heard of pci adapter cards you can buy to use sata on older pcs, but you'll probably need a power plug adapterfor the harddrive as well since sata use a different power plug.

This is the adapter for the power.
Newegg.com - COOLMAX SATA POWER ADAPTER Cable - HDD Accessories

I found this adapter don't know if is the right one i never used one myself
Newegg.com - StarTech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA Drive Mounted Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers
I see slot of sata adapters on newegg, but man they are expensive.

maybe someone else can point you to a good card and better price

ohh my bad i dint see that part i better get some glasseslol

Hello,

The mobo has 2 SATA Connections. But they are only SATA1. So you will noly get the 1.5GB/s transfer speed.

Cheers,
Mak

I got a new PSU about a year ago after the I got it to smoke and it does have SATA power connectors.

So is SATA2 Backwards compatible with SATA1? And SATA1 is still faster then IDE?

So I can use a SATA2 Hard drive with a SATA1 port?

Hello,

If i am not mistaken it is backwards compatible. So you can run it. It is faster than IDE that is for sure.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom