Can loading wrong ghost image file physically damage computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanH

Beta member
I (am stupid) took a ghost image file (.gho) from my stationary computer and loaded it to my notebook.
Starting up the notebook, it only came to 'Loading windows 98...', then locked up. I tried this many times.
Now, unfortunately, battery is dead and it won't even run/start with AC adapter.
Have I killed it?

Note: The graphic card and sound card etc. are different between my stationary and the notebook. Different computer all together.

Thanks for any info

Johan H.

Ghost totally overwrites disks. Youve screwed your HDD. Youre gonna have to format and reinstall your OS.

I know, but that's no problem. What I wonder is, is it possible to PHYSICALLY DAMAGE any components doing what I did. Something that is irrecoverable?

No. Like I said, ghost overwrites disks. If you format and reinstall youre fine.

Software can rarely physically damage a computer...

I never thought ghost itself did any damage to my notebook. But, what I know very little about (nothing?), is when win98 tries to load, it has info about devices etc. in the registry/config.sys/autoexec.bat. What happens then? Is the OS sending small amounts of current to these devices/IRQ/DMA/ports (which don't exist). Couldn't that do any damage?
As I said, I DON'T know how this works.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom