Can I upgrade my processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted to get a core 2 duo you'd need a new mobo and new ram as the new core 2 duo boards take DDR2 ram, so thats 3 things you'd need not to mention a fresh install of xp/vista because new mobo=new pc in microsofts eyes!
Best bet is to just upgrade to a faster p4 then

The mobo I am using now takes DDR2 ram.

OK cpu-z gives me this:
I am not bothered if I can't go duel core but if there is a faster processor available to me I want it.

no..... its just a unlocked Multiplier with a P4, but i think u can use a Pentium D, but not Core 2 Duo, maybe Core 2 Duo if u were lucky but most likely not

no..... its just a unlocked Multiplier with a P4, but i think u can use a Pentium D, but not Core 2 Duo, maybe Core 2 Duo if u were lucky but most likely not

Both the Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition are nothing more than two 90nm Prescott 1M dies glued together. That means that each core has its own 1MB L2 cache, and that also means that architecturally, these chips are no different than the single core Pentium 4s that are out today - other than the obvious dual core fact

Contrary to what we've reported earlier, the only difference between the Pentium D and the Pentium Extreme Edition is the presence of Hyper Threading; mainly, the Pentium D doesn't have it, while the Extreme Edition does. Both chips will only use a 800MHz FSB, they both have the same cache sizes, and they only differ in the presence of HT.

Armed with Hyper Threading, the Pentium Extreme Edition allows the execution of 4 concurrent threads and appears as a quad processor CPU to the OS. Without Hyper Threading, the Pentium D only allows for 2 concurrent threads and appears as a dual processor CPU to the OS.

AnandTech: Intel Dual Core Performance Preview Part I: First Encounter

as you can see the EE is more than just a unlocked p4 and better han a Pentium D

Correct me if I am wrong, since I have no experience with Intel builds or hardware, but Since that P4 is LGA 775, can't he put a Core 2 Duo on that mobo?

@ Snake91839, that is what I thought I was told I could put a duel core on my current mobo but I didn't trust the advice so I decided to ask, I just hope that it gets cleared up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom