Can I support 4k @ 60mhz

tomtom1983

Beta member
Hi everyone, hope all is well! I'm buying a new monitor to upgrade my existing HD Lg27MP65-Q monitor to a 4k one. Not sure what one to get yet but either Samsung U28E590D or Acer RT280K. (Any tips would be grand, it's not for gaming, just streaming and video editing) Anyhow my actual question is this, according to the Asus website, my Asia Motherboard Z87 K should support 4k via a Display Port. But my motherboard doesn't have a display port! Luckily my graphics card does, but will my graphics card support 4k at 60htz? It's the Nvidea GTX 660 2GB.

Hope that makes sense! It's driving me up the wall!
Here is my full PC spec if it helps...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K
RAM: 32GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (4x8GB)
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB (Hybrid 8GB SSD)
Toshiba 1TB
2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA
2nd optical drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
PSU: 550W Corsair VS

It's hard to say if it will handle 4k just from the specs, especially at 60 Hz. Your machine definitely looks capable, but your OS can be a factor in the case of smooth video. I feel like something beyond a quad-core would be very helpful towards your goal. One thing I can say is make sure you keep your video drivers updated if you plan to go through with the upgrade. Wish I could provide more information but I don't want to tell you "Its gonna work for sure" because that might not be the case.

On the subject of choosing a monitor: From those two, I'd choose the Acer. Samsung does make decent products but they seem to think their logo is as valuable as Apple's logo. That sounds a little biased, but it's what I would choose.

Thankyou for your quick reply!
Tbh I didnt realise my OS could be a factor. I assume you mean "Operating System" by the way, which in this case mine runs Windows 10.
On the ASUS website (for the Asus Z87-K) it states and I quote
"4K Ultra HD ready
Discover future visual experiences
Following up on popular 1080p full HD, 4K Ultra HD is the next big thing, and you're ready for the upgrade thanks to integrated graphics that natively support up to 4096 x 2160 via HDMI or DisplayPort."

So when i first read it I thought...hmmm 4k ready doesnt mean it can handle 4k. Especially after looking it doesnt have a Display Port or HDMI 2.0 socket. So thats when I looked at my GPU.
The GTX 660 2gb isnt exactly the best but on the website it says..."Display Support: 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport." which I think means im ok for 4k.
But then in the small print refering back to what you said about drivers it says..."Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later."
So i did a little RUN "dxdiag" test on my PC and got these results...

Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvd3dumx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvwgf2umx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvwgf2umx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvwgf2umx.dll

Driver File Version: 21.21.0013.7849 (English)
Driver Version: 21.21.13.7849
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.1

Now im just even more confused! Ha ha! Any ideas???

Last edited:
Just make sure you hook up via DisplayPort and have the latest drivers from NVidia's website.

Whether the 660 will run smooth is another question. You definitely won't be gaming at 4k with it; videos may be fine.

I don't know why they mention DisplayPort on the page for the motherboard. It's like they used the same description for multiple boards

"4k ready" means that if you have the right set up (4k monitor, proper cables, etc) then it will just work without configuration. For this motherboard, it has a graphics chip on board that can handle 4k. I doubt they'd lie about something like that.

DxDiag isn't gonna help you learn about 4k compatibility. It was created in the Windows XP days and just remains in the Windows files today. It's usually used to identify a graphics card when you need to install drivers. But don't worry about drivers at the moment, I was just giving a bit of a pro-tip. You always want to keep your drivers updated because there could be optimizations and such that make things run smoother. I'm sure you have the latest driver as of right now though.

Given that your card supports 4 monitors, it should handle 1 or 2 very nicely.

I think you system will be able to handle 4k, but I don't know about 60 Hz. Also streaming video at that spec would require very good internet too.

The 660 comes with a DP 1.2 connector which will do 4k/60. If your monitor has a DP connector 1.2 or above it'll be fine. If it requires HDMI that's another issue.

Good news peeps, i have read through a few other forums and spotted 2 users are using the GTX660 and getting 4k @60hz no problem. All that is required is to connect a display port cable (like carnageX and PP Mguire said). As for my internet speed littleefoxx that is all good too. I get on average 221mbps! So I think that means case closed! :)
All that is required now is to convince the Mrs to let me go out and spend £500! Ha ha!
Really appreciate all your help guys! if you ever fancy a look see at what i do btw, (Actor/youtuber) just type in "mcphoney" on google and all my stuff comes up!
Thankyou once again! :)

Back
Top Bottom