Can I schedule my computer to turn on at a certain time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhcp

Banned
Can I like do something where it'll turn on at 2:45PM? I get home at 3:00 and I want it to be nice and toasty when I get back. And I also wanna do it to scare the sh** out of anyone that's home when they hear the loud Slipknot music when I turn it on :p

i just realized how close RHCP is to DHCP - entirely different meanings though!

Anyways, as far as I know, you have to have something else already online and do a "wake-on-lan" command.

EDIT:
Auto Power-on and Shut-down - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
Though it looks like this won't "power up" but only wake it up from hibernation. Which I hate hibernation, many things break and you have to restart anyways.

i just realized how close RHCP is to DHCP - entirely different meanings though!

Anyways, as far as I know, you have to have something else already online and do a "wake-on-lan" command.

EDIT:
Auto Power-on and Shut-down - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
Though it looks like this won't "power up" but only wake it up from hibernation. Which I hate hibernation, many things break and you have to restart anyways.

I know!
I could change the Restore on AC power loss setting to turn on, and put one of those wall timer things on it, so it turns off at midnight and turns on at 3:00PM!

Another probelm, my computer BSOD's on hibernate or sleep mode, not shutdown for some reason, should I take a pic of the BSoD?

Another probelm, my computer BSOD's on hibernate or sleep mode, not shutdown for some reason, should I take a pic of the BSoD?

I wouldn't bother. In my experience, hibernate is typically disabled in corporate environments BECAUSE it is so troublesome.

I think it was originally intended for use on laptops, which "hibernate" when the battery is about to die so you don't lose any work. However, most laptops are built from the BIOS up to allow this. Desktops are not.

you could just leave it on, and restart when you're done for the night. Of course that wastes a lot of juice over time.

I wouldn't bother. In my experience, hibernate is typically disabled in corporate environments BECAUSE it is so troublesome.

I think it was originally intended for use on laptops, which "hibernate" when the battery is about to die so you don't lose any work. However, most laptops are built from the BIOS up to allow this. Desktops are not.

you could just leave it on, and restart when you're done for the night. Of course that wastes a lot of juice over time.

Especially if I buy a 1300W psu :p jk I wouldn't be THAT impulsive lol...

lol. BTW, I just found out my bios has a feature that turns it on when you want >_> maybeh shoulda looked first eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom