Can this hold a Video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki9090

In Runtime
Can this (the first one on the link) Docking station hold a PCI video card? It only says it's got 3 PCI slots
http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/dock/compaq.htm
I was not sure if a card could go their.

And if so is their any restriction to what size card (32mb,64mb,128mb ect) and how many bits (32 bit/64bit). I need to know becouse i want to buy oneof these so i can get some graphics on my laptop.

do u mean pci Express or a pci vid card??

pci expres vid cards take a whole different type of mobo, which that laptop doesnt have... i dont think u can actually put a graphics card into it...

VIII said:
do u mean pci Express or a pci vid card??

pci expres vid cards take a whole different type of mobo, which that laptop doesnt have... i dont think u can actually put a graphics card into it...

Well i need a card to run video games so yeah i need a PCI vid card (dont know what PCI express is) so i was wondering if the docking bay will allow me to get a card by installing it in the docking bay (cause it has 3 PCI slots). CAn you help me at all i just need some damn way to play some games on my laptop.
It says this:

Expandable Design
1 full-size industry-standard PCI slot (Supports 32-bit PCI expansion boards)
2 half-size industry-standard PCI slots (Supports 32-bit PCI expansion boards) – 1 configurable with choice of 3COM or Intel Network Interface Card
Half-height bay accommodates industry-standard, half height devices such as CD-ROM drives and tape drives.
2 Stacked 12.7 mm MultiBays accommodate notebook MultiBay devices, including DVD, LS-120 and MultiBay Battery.

VIII if you'd actually click the link you wouldn't have to ask a question like whether or not he's referring to PCI or PCI-E

Ki, I highly doubt you'd be able to use a PCI video card.

From what I gather it's meant to use one of these:

http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/qm2000board.htm

But e-mail tech support and find out 100% for sure

Nubius said:
VIII if you'd actually click the link you wouldn't have to ask a question like whether or not he's referring to PCI or PCI-E

Ki, I highly doubt you'd be able to use a PCI video card.

From what I gather it's meant to use one of these:

http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/qm2000board.htm

But e-mail tech support and find out 100% for sure

I thought it was just using that board as an example, is their any reason why you could not just pop in a regualr PCI vid card thats 32 bit? I meen it is a full size PCI slot.

Yeah, I know it's a full size PCI slot and all, you can tell by looking at that board that's supposed to go in there, but yeah as I said you'd have to contact their tech support to get a definitive answer.

Unless someone here has that thing and has used a PCI card in it, I couldn't possibly tell you

Nubius said:
Yeah, I know it's a full size PCI slot and all, you can tell by looking at that board that's supposed to go in there, but yeah as I said you'd have to contact their tech support to get a definitive answer.

Unless someone here has that thing and has used a PCI card in it, I couldn't possibly tell you

I just got done with tech chat and the girl said that she pretty sure it will work. Also i just looked at the link of the Board. Also note that under the new board it said PCI Bus (like its using just a normal PCI bus) and looking at a pick of a Diamond Stealth they both seem to have the same PCI bus (by looks and they both are said to have it) which is why i dont see why the card will not fit (its obviously no bigger and uses the same PCI regular bus) the only thing is will the laptop read the Card sinces its no directly on the mother board? I think it will cause i though docking stations are just extensions of the mobo so anything on the docking station is like putting it right on the mobo (except you have no room on the mobo). Im just double checking here. Thanks.

Yeah like I said I know little about laptops muchless advanced docking stations.

They may be extensions of the mobo but you're looking to add complete functionality.

If you purchase it all, let us know if it works :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom