CAn a faulty processor kill a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak1976

Baseband Member
I'm having a disagreeement with a guy who sold me a faulty Athlon (old slot A,) processor. He says a faulty pro can't damage my PC, but it seems to have wiped out my PSU, is it his processor that's done it? (Only stepped up from 650-750MHZ.)

Normally it cant damage your PC cosz if processor is faulty, the machine cannot be startup~~~

As soon as the processor was on the MOBO and the mains plugged back in, then the PSU kicked it....... without me actually switching the PC on. Swapped it for old processor and it worked, swapped it back and it did the same thing again.

check to make sure the CPU is compatible with the MB . Also anytime you switch out a CPU make sure the PS is unplugged .

Power was off, and mobo can take upto 1GB processor.

The processor blew the PSU, I know cause i had to swap it out. But this guy refuses to accept it.

I am usually quite good with electrics, didn't realise that you could take the PSU apart and do anything with it, always assumed it was a sealed throw away item.

You ever seen or heard of a processor doing damage to a PC?

no but im sure its possible , i allways make sure the CPU is compatible with the MB before i install it .Power supplies are pretty tuff i would think the MB would crap out b4 the PS .

That's what I feared, but it was def. the PSU that went, so it could've been worse.

Anyone else seen or heard of a CPU blowing a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom