Calling all SCSI buffs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Calling all SCSI buffs

I'm working on setting up a computer with a BioRad GS-700 Imaging Densitometer, which utilizes SCSI. After much frustration, I found that the first SCSI card I had was not able to work with my motherboard. After some research, I ordered a few different types of Adaptec AHA-2940 cards: a 2940 S6 and 2940UW. It turns out that the S6 is also incompatible (I got the infamous "No SCSI boot device found. SCSI BIO not installed!" message). However, I was able to get the AHA-2940UW card working without much of a fight. Luckily, I bought both cards used for $5 or $6 a piece, so I'm not out big money on the S6. Anyways, after getting the 2940UW working, I tried it with a Pinnacle Micro SCSI CD Writer that I had sitting around. The CD writer was detected and only didn't work because I didn't waste time installing drivers for it (I'm not intending to use the CD writer; i just used it as a test). Now, finally, on to the real problem... I now need to set up this BioRad GS-700 densitometer. Unfortunately, when I plug in the GS-700, exactly how I did the CD writer, it isn't detected as the writer was. Would this be because the GS-700 is broken? The GS-700 was a 2nd hand machine with previous owners, so I don't know its past. I tried messing around both with and without a terminator and I do have it set to a SCSI ID that doesn't conflict with the card. I don't think that the version of Windows or other computer specs should matter since the card itself is definitely working and the GS-700 is the only thing causing problems. Yes, I do know for a fact that the 2940 series is adequate for this densitometer. I'm in the business of repairing and reselling medical equipment, so this is for someone other than myself. I have another GS-700 sitting around, so I guess I can try that one, though I'd rather get this one working if possible since the other is pretty much an eyesore given all the staining on it. Any help would be appreciated since I don't have a ton of SCSI experience.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, actually, I just found out that my problem was a bad SCSI cable being used with the densitometer. :P All I need now is the stupid driver for this thing...

Old 06-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

goog luck to you. i don't know that much about SCSI but i decided to see if i could help. my understanding is that all devices must be terminated so it's little wonder it didn't work with out the terminator
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I tried it both with and without. It turns out the driver thing was a windows flaw. For some reason, windows 2000 and XP ask for a driver on alot of SCSI hardware even when it isn't required. Anyways, I'm all good now. Thanks for looking and trying to help.
Closed Thread