Cable internet + TV? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Cable internet + TV?

If I branch off my cable internet wire with a spliter to goto my tv will it make a big diff in my bandwidth?

Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to YourPrinter

no

Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

That's how mine is hooked up and everything still run's fast,You should'nt have a problem with your speed what so ever.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah you can branch it off, but I had problems when I had 2 tvs and a VCR hooked up plus my cable modem with my VoIP modem.
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 02-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. I pay for 4000/512 and get between 3500-4100 down on every speed test, and I always download at 450-500 KB/sec from good servers. You will be fine. Just don't split it too many times.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

It is already split once if not twice from the outside cable box to the various places in your home. You should definatly be fine.

I had questioned this myself a few weeks agao, since I was going to hook a media center up in my office to experiment with the DVR function of it. I need to have a cable going into the tuner card to do video capture and set the programming guide.

I of course have the cable line in there hooked to my cable modem for the Internet.

I went to my local radio shack and got a standard spltter. The guy there told me that it might decrease the cable modem speed and decrease the tv signal quality. He then went on to say that monster cable is coming out with a splitter that promises to allow this to work without any data loss or picture quality difference.

I laughed at that. Basically, the way that cable tv and the cable Internet works is by operating on channels, spread over the frequency that is designated by the cable company.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem.htm

I think knowing how stuff works is really interesting; also knowing how it works is a good way to help you diagnose problems when they arise.
<b><a href=\"http://www.switchphase.net\" target=\"_blank\">Computer and I.T. solutions for small business</a></b><br><b><a href=\"http://www.laptoprepairdirect.com\" target=\"_blank\">Laptop Repair Direct</a></b>
Old 02-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Quote:
Originally posted by switch

I went to my local radio shack and got a standard spltter. The guy there told me that it might decrease the cable modem speed and decrease the tv signal quality. He then went on to say that monster cable is coming out with a splitter that promises to allow this to work without any data loss or picture quality difference.

I laughed at that.
LOL...reminds me of how they try to tell me that gold plated USB cables have much better data transfer efficiency and are less likely to corrode. Thats total B.S., its all a sales gimic.

Closed Thread