Buying a second monitor for a laptop

RonnieSaha

Beta member
Hello all,

Just to note, I am a new member and do not have extensive knowledge in this area so please keep that in mind!:)

Basically, I already have a monitor from an older computer connected through a VGA cable to my laptop and it works fine apart from the screen is dark in places. Therefore, I would like to purchase a new one preferably 21".

My question is that because I might look at getting a monitor with a TV Tuner in it will it affect the quality of the screen output for my laptop. I ask this because in the past when I have connected it up to other TV's their are always gaps around the ages or the screen will go about a centimetre above the screen size perhaps because their main function when bought was to be a TV. Do I have to look for a specific size of monitor that will work with my laptop but also have the TV function built in?

Thank you very much and I look forward to your response!:p

Typically when using a TV on the VGA connector the scaling goes whack and that is what causes your issue. You have to mess with settings to get it right.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried to mess around with the settings quite a bit but to no avail. However, I was connecting the TV's through a HDMI instead of a VGA. Does this make a difference?

HDMI would actually be better. There is screen adjustment for both Nvidia and AMD/ATI in their control panels. You have to fix the image using proper native resolution and the scaling feature.

I'm really not sure how to do that:/?

Would a new monitor be able to overcome this issue without the need for messing around with these settings?

A monitor will not need adjustments as it is setup for the proper resolutions.

In the video settings of your laptop, there should be, Nvidia and AMD/ATI video cards, have a spot where you set your resolution your tv runs, than you scale (corrects) to fill the screen.

Back
Top Bottom