Buying Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1988

Solid State Member
Okay, so I recently installed Windows XP on my computer, and I ended up finding out that I was low on virtual memory. I currently only have 256 RAM so I decided that it's time to get some more.

So, what I'm asking is for advice on what kind of brand to buy if I'm buying 256 or 512. List options for either, please.
Thanks in advance.

Actually, I have two sticks of ram (they came with my CPU). Unfortunately, I only have two sockets as well. Both of them are 128 MB RAM PC100 sticks. Also, I meant I wanted people to list specific brands or even the sticks themselves.

virtual memory isnt ram, its your paging file size.

ram is physical memory.

u can go into /rightclick my computer/properties/advanced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory(change)/ custome size.... select witch hard drive to use, then what i do is just put 1024mb for Min and Max... i heard u get better performance with them set at equal imites and it prevents fragmentation.

yah i heard the same thing jolancer i just don't remember where. i know though if u set them to be the same it prevents fragmentation like you said. which down the line will give you bet

I'll try that, but I still could use some more RAM...So keep the suggestions coming.

Actually it's funny I recently messed with my virtual memory too... allocating more HD space if I ran out of ram... and I noticed my computer freezing up during some games I play.... does anyone know if it has anything to do with the change I made? And how do I go abotu fixing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom