Buying a new PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancpx

Beta member
I am looking to buy a new PC. I am trying to stay within the 800-1000 range. I am a newb with comps though. Are Athlons better then pentiums for gaming? I want as close to a killer gaming machine as I can get for my price. I am curious whethere I should get an Athlon or a Pentium? Also are Dell's good? What are some things I should look for when getting a PC geared toward gaming? And I know DDR ram is better then SD ram. When the comp spec says 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz. Does this mean it is DDR or SD? Does it matter when it says Dual Channel? I really appreciate the advice, and suggestions are very welcome! Thank you

-Dan

Amd is dominating with their 64's, dell sucks compared to what you can build yourself for the same cost. If you want a good game machine the main components you need are AMD 64 939 3500+, theres a few of mobo to chose from for socket 939, most are good but make sure your processer socket is compatible with motherboard. For ram you need 512 minimum 1 gig is reccommended. And there is a wide variety of graphics cards but nvidia 6800 is your best bet, you can get one for under 400 bucks.
And i suggest newegg.com but zipzoomfly.com and tigerdirect.com are also good

pentiums- applications
amd- gaming- especially the amd 64

I personally don't like dells, i think they are a bit cheap feeling, and it isnt as easy to upgrade, as u need to get everything from dell.

yes ddr is better than sd ram, but ddr sdram is better. and the dual channel ram is alot better than single channel. (this explains it very well, http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRWhitepaper.pdf)

i personally would pick option 3, build your own, but out of those 2 i would get the first one, but you still could build a really good pc for the money.

also i think the secound one has intergrated graphics, so it really isn't up for much gaming.

Same here,
I would like to choose option 3.
There is a lot disadvantage with brand name PCs.
You can build your own PC really easy. And you can actually enjoy it too. Rite guys?????:p
And the coolest thing is with the same amount of money, you can build a "killer gaming PC" instead of "far from killer" PC:D

If you plan any of the newer games your def gonna wanna build your own. It might be daunting at first, i had to make the same decision and im so glad i built my own

Intel rules. If this PC will be used for mainly gaming, go AMD. If this PC will be used for medium gaming and office apps. go AMD or Intel, which ever is cheaper. If this PC will be used mostly for office apps. and power apps., go Intel.

I personally use Intel and like Intel because I used web designing, animation, flash, and stuff like that apps. For me, it is a waste to get an AMD.

Like many here, I would never suggest a person to buy a brand name computer unless they needed a laptop. For that, you always go to Dell. However, do option 3. If you haven't ever built before, it is a great experience. And it is very easy as long as you follow directions and actually aren't arrogant and will look at the manual (I didn't and I had to RMA). Option 3 should be your pick.

Ya, I would suggest that if you want a good custom budget computer that you dont have to build yourself, then go with cyberpowersystems.com. My friend and I did the math once and figured out that you are only paying a couple hundred dollars more there than if you were to buy the components and build it yourself.

This is nice since that little extra you paid goes to having a pre-built system and full 3 year warranty on the machine, should it run into some "unexpected faults" (i.e Overclocking...wink, wink). ;)

Oh ya, also don't even think about buying a Dell. People who buy them think "well my dell in custom made for me"but they dont realize that Dell ripps you off, big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom