Buying A New Mobo? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApM

Daemon Poster
Okay, I've come to a decision.

I have been wanting to upgrade my motherboard for quite some time now but I just havn't got around to it because of all the upgrades I've been getting recenly (Money probs ;)).

I was wondering about what motherboard to get and why also what hassle does it come with - setting it up? I'am sure it is just a stright forward switch, I'am i correct? If not, please explain more :)

Also since I live in the UK, I don't use webistes such as NewEGG so i would be using the following

#1 Http://Ebuyer.co.uk
#2 Http://PCwcomponentcentre.co.uk
#3 Http://Overclockers.co.uk

If anyone is bored and feel like pointing someout that would be alot of help!

Thanks

You're firstly going to need to buy a mainboard your processor tolerates. Your processor is socket 478, so you need to buy a mainboard that is compatible with socket 478 Pentium 4 processors.

If I were you, I would save up some more and get at least a socket 754 motherboard with a AMD64 processor too, becuase whenever I buy a new motherboard, I try to make sure I won't be replacing it for some time.

Eh, it's your call though.

novatech.co.uk are pretty good too...
and I bought my gfx card £50 cheaper than anywhere on lowestontheweb.co.uk

The hard drive will need to be formatted with a new mobo. Some windows refuse to run after major hardware changes... it should be a straight swap so long as your existing components fit on the board somewhere :) especially your processor! ...but you knew that

True, I was thinking about buying a new processer, hard-drive and mobo, when I come to think of it I've spent double on upgrading it, anyways that not a issue :), So for instance just say I did get a AMD64 could you ponit out some mobo's for them at a decent price ;)

That seems an excuse to spend money :)

I was in the same situation a month ago and decided to go with the mobo in my siggy. It will run everything you have, has great features for a mobo and if u do decide to upgrade processor... will run the top end P4s coz they are still made as 478s...

Doesn't have PCIe which might be a problem in a years time or so if you decide to upgrade gfx - but by then you will want to completly rebuild for a 64bit processor and windows64. IMO

For socket 754 CPUs, go with the DFI Lanparty

For socket 939, go with that neo plantinum thingie... I forgot. :p

So if I was getting a AMD64 and I was going to upgrade my mobo what would be a suggestion? Cheap as possible please :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom